to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Monday, November 1, 2010

Dandelions

Just a thought….
by Connie Kovach


Dandelions

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” Matthew 7:1-2



We moved in our house five years ago and have been slowly updating as we go. I was pregnant with twins and have been kept a bit busy with my other two children. This year we had begun to finally work on the front yard. We hired a landscaper to come and destroy the dandelions in our front yard that had begun to grow. I don’t know if you have ever had them, but they are so tough to get rid of. The landscaper came and applied a weed killer, and then he was to apply a fertilizer a few weeks later. He said it would take about 6 weeks but it would work.

Last fall, our city completely replaced our street. I was happy about this decision since I had just sprained my ankle last summer by stepping into a hole in the concrete. Well the construction came and went, and as the trucks pulled out, the snow began to fall on our beautiful new street.

When spring arrived, the city started to remove the tree lawns to replant grass where the damage was done. This was exciting to me because our tree lawn was used as a parking lot for some neighbors by night. Then by day the company’s truck would park on it so you can imagine how damaged it was.

I pulled down my street, one day, to find only about a quarter of my tree lawn removed, the part left had just big patches of brown from the tires that lay there. After questioning the people that were doing the work, they suggested that I call the city. I looked at the lawn and I could visibly see dirt marks and dead grass. I just couldn’t understand why they could not see what I was seeing.

Extremely frustrated, I decided to call the city and speak to the person in charge. The conversation started out great. I shared my confusion on the whole project that I didn’t understand why some of the tree lawns were completely replaced yet some were not. I explained to him that our tree lawn was used as a parking lot day and night. I explained that we had just begun to do work on our yard and had not included the tree lawn. I explained the complete story of my last 5 years in the house and the reason we are working on the yard now. He seemed to be receptive and I was so glad that I called. I was waiting to hear that they were sorry and they would send a crew down before the trucks came to spread the new grass seed.

When the service director began to speak, I couldn’t believe what he said. He explained that the only thing they needed to do was replace the damage from the trucks. He agreed that my tree lawn had more damage but they were just going to throw some seed down where the damage is. When I asked why he was not following the same rules for my house as the rest of the street, he said “Aren’t you the house with all the dandelions?” I knew right then, that the reason my tree lawn, though it was completely damaged by cars on the street and work trucks, was not replaced is because he didn’t think it was worth it. You see he couldn’t see beyond my lawn.

This got me thinking, how often do I see someone and make up my mind that they are not worth the time? How many people in my life have I given up on? After having a fit about the phone conversation, I stopped and prayed. I apologized for every time I judged someone unfairly. I also prayed that God would make me aware when I begin to do it again.

You see it is not for us to figure them out or to guess whether they will ever change, it is our duty to pray for them. Intercessory prayer is so important, yet we take advantage of the power that it holds. The bible has some form of the word pray in the bible 365 times, so I would say that it is an important part of the Christian walk. Just think that is one reminder to pray each day. In Deuteronomy 9:20 it tells how God is angry enough to destroy Aaron, but Moses prays for him and God spared his life. This is some powerful stuff people.

We need to stop just assuming things are the way they are and just hit our knees. Pray for our loved ones, pray for the sick, and yes, pray for the one who just offended you. So next time you see someone and start to make a conclusion on their life, pray for them; or better yet pray for yourself that God may empower you to stop judging because beyond the dandelions, there are some beautiful flowers.


If you would like to discontinue receiving these devotions, just reply with the word delete and you will be removed.