to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Friday, January 7, 2011

Just a thought....

New Years Resolutions

“For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.” 1 Timothy 4:8


Let me start out by saying welcome if you are new to “Just a thought…” If you have been with me a while, enjoy and Happy New Year. I have created a blog that shows some writings from the past. Please feel to visit me at www.conniekovach.blogspot.com.

So it’s a new year. Can you believe it? I will begin this year like I do every year, writing the wrong date over and over again. I think I finally figure it out by June. As 2011 begins, the thought occurs to me that I am going to embark on a new decade as far as my age is concerned. I decided some changes needed to be made. So I joined the rest of the country and came up with some New Years resolutions of my own. The definition of resolution means firm determination. So instead of making resolutions, I will call them life changes. It is time for me to exercise, hopefully lose weight, clean house and smile a whole lot more.

The first thing I decided to do is to exercise, forgiveness that is. Matthew 6:15 says if we want the forgiveness of God, guess what? We better start forgiving other people. Colossians 3:13 says bear with each other and forgive. So I will call upon God to help me to forgive any grievance in my heart.

I want to lose weight that pride holds. As Beth Moore writes, pride is a cheater of our God given destiny. Proverbs 16:18 says “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” So true, and yet I pick the backpack of pride up over and over again.

The next thing I wanted to do was to clean out the closets and corners of my bitter heart. Ephesians 4:31 says “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.” In verse 32 it tells us “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ forgave you.” So I will pray for God to help me to pick up my dust rag and wipe away any remnants of anger and resentment that still reside in my heart.

And finally I need to start smiling more. Galatians tells us that one of the side effects of relying on God is joy. Galatians 5:22-23 says “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” These are all attributes I would love to be connected to my name. So I pray that God will move in those areas in my life.

Don’t get me wrong, I will hit that treadmill. As I stated, I am not getting any younger but the bible also speaks of getting in shape as being much more than a good physical workout. As muscles and physical fitness and health help us defend against sickness and disease, so spiritual health helps us defend against negativity, sin, deception, anger, hurt, rage, or any other tool the evil one uses to keep us from the freedom that we are all given in Christ.

So as we begin 2011, let’s start on the right foot; in prayer: “Dear Lord, I pray for everyone reading this that we have a desire to strengthen our emotional and spiritual selves to grow closer to You. God, sometimes we are tired and don’t feel like getting on the treadmill we call life, help us Lord, not only to workout but to train in Your word and in Your truth, so we may fight spiritual sickness. Lord I thank You for Your workout facility we call the bible, I thank You for Your unfailing love. I pray in Jesus name ~ Amen.”