to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Monday, February 14, 2011

"and don't call me Surely"

The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die!” Genesis 3:4 NASB





Let me start out by saying welcome if you are new to “Just a thought…” If you have been with me a while, enjoy and Happy New Year. I have created a blog that shows some writings from the past. Please feel to visit me at www.conniekovach.blogspot.com.


Recently God has shown me that I needed to get rid of some things in my life. As I have shared in past devotions, I love pop. Let me explain, I LOVE pop. I'm not sure you heard me I LOVE POP! In Matthew 8 Jesus tells a man who is asking to follow him to leave everything in order to do so. When we are asked the same thing it can be quite painful.


So you guessed it, I needed to give up drinking pop for a while. Now I realize it's just pop, but it was a sin in my life that needed to be dealt with. The sin is not the pop itself; it's the fact that I love it too much to put down. See God is a jealous God. He wants all eyes on Him, and rightly so, I mean He did create the universe and all, so I agreed it was time.



Over the last year or so, I have been convicted of my undying love for the sugary stuff, but my mind would always make too much sense to quit. It kind of resembled The Garden of Eden. Let’s go back there, shall we. Adam and Eve were doing just fine in their garden. They had everything at their disposal, everything they wanted, needed or could dream of; that is until Satan slithered on the scene. In Genesis 3 he asked Eve “Indeed, has God said ‘You shall not eat from any tree of the garden’?” only to follow up with “You surely will not die!” Ah did you catch it? He loves to whisper in our ears doesn’t he, as if he is really out for our best interest. So let’s break it down further. God said don’t touch the tree. Satan said, he didn’t mean what he said, aka the first lie on record.



So as I pondered this lie, I began to think of the many other lies that sound like this in my life. Just today I was shopping around at the mall while my kids were in pre school. I needed to be on the road by 10:30 in order to get them on time. At 10:27 I was getting ready to leave but I really wanted to just pop into one more store. I heard “Surely you don’t need to be in the car at 10:30, just go in another store; you will make it to preschool on time.” And that familiar voice was exposed. I left the mall right then and made it in time. But that doesn’t mean that sneaky little voice isn’t still whispering.



Satan does not want what God wants. Galatians 5:22-23 says that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. So you can bet your bottom dollar that what Satan wants is the complete polar opposite of that fruit. He wants us to be angry and bitter, miserable, running ragged, frustrated, rude, selfish, anxiety ridden, abrasive, and out of control. Talk about some spoiled fruit.



Genesis explains that the devil is crafty. He always seems to know just where to take your thoughts. 2 Corinthians 10:5 says to take all thoughts captive. Thousands of thoughts enter our minds each day. What we need to do is really think about what is being thought of and why. We need to stop the thought at the door and really identify if it lines up with the truth. In Philippians 4:8 it tells us to think about things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. It tells us to only think on this stuff. The more we take very thought captive, the more we can identify the voice of the serpent.



I don’t know what is being whispered into your ear, maybe it’s “Surely God wouldn’t ask you to forgive….., He knows what that person did to you.” Or maybe it’s “Surely you don’t need to talk to your husband today; he knows your mad until he apologizes you shouldn’t talk to him at all. It could be something as simple as “Surely you don’t need to hold the door for the person behind you; you are way to busy to worry about them.” Whatever he is whispering to you, it’s time to fight back, quote your scripture at him and tell him to stop calling you Surely.