to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Monday, February 14, 2011

"What is love?"

“Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way. Love is not irritable or resentful. Love does not rejoice in wrongdoing,but rejoices in the truth. Love bears all things. Love believes all things. Love hopes all things. Love endures all things. Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-8


Let me start out by saying Happy Valentine’s Day. This is one of my favorite holidays, simply because I love “Love”. Today my twins had their Valentine party at preschool. The teacher decided to ask the children what they thought love was, and printed the answers out for all the parents to read.


The answers were mostly hilarious yet adorable. While one of my sons answer was sweet. “Love is mommy smells nice” the other one chimed in with “Mommy and daddy hug and daddy buys heart candy for her and tattoos that say ‘I love you’. Tattoos are in the bedroom.” What can I say, out of the mouths of babes. But the one that really stuck out was a little boy who said “I don’t know. I think you feel happy and act funny.”


So this got me thinking, what is love? Is it a feeling? Is it an action? Is it a decision? I think the answer is d) all of the above. The devotion that I will share with you was written by my daughter who was 11 at the time. I was reading it tonight and was intrigued by her ability to see love as it is. I hope you enjoy reading her devotion. Thank you McKenzie; and keep writing.


I always thought love was just an action. Like giving someone a hug or kiss. Last year I figured out its much more then just an action it’s also a feeling, and an emotion. I experienced 3 divorces and 2 losses. I thought that some of them I didn’t really know them but after they’re gone it really made me love.


I now know that they were a huge part of my heart. You really can’t tell when something is going to happen like a divorce but you just have to believe in their choice. You have to remember that it is their choice not yours. Even if you don’t think they’re right you have to love. Because that’s what God says to do.


I hope you follow your heart and be sure to love. This is a very important command Love your neighbor as yourself. And your neighbors are everyone.