to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Honestly?

“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” John 15:12

This winter seems like it’s never going to end. I feel like every time we have a warm up and can smell that fresh spring air, we get another winter warning. The only difference between this year and others past is that this year the weathermen have been right. With nothing else to do but to stay in where it’s warm, we have been doing some serious cleaning. I’m talking every closet, room, pretty much every corner of the house. God must be sick of winter too because He has been using this season to clean my house as well.

In the season of winter, you can’t help but notice the ugliness of the bare trees as all the green and color is gone. The branches are left dark and empty, exposed for what they really are. Much like that, the winter season of our lives do the same. When we sometimes get the ability to look in the mirror and see ourselves for who we truly are, we see the lack of fruit within our spirit. We see our dark, bare, exposed souls. This is when God wants to do a work in us.

If you know me or have read my thoughts, you know I love word pictures. So I imagine our lives as cars driving on the highway of life. Our destination? Eternity! If you are like me and have given all control of your steering wheel to Jesus so that your eternity will be with God, you know this journey can be long. Like any freeway, people are getting on and off all the time. When cars get on, we need to move over and allow them to share the road. We are supposed to be courteous and allow them room to advance without cutting them off and making them want to exit the highway. When the cars do exit, where are they going?

I picture that each exit has a sign labeled with one sin or another. When we exit this highway, if we are in close relationship with Christ, we are still headed in that direction, but how much harder of a journey will it be to our destination than the strait shot on the highway. But let’s face it, we are human, we all get sidetracked every once in a while.

Some of the exits are addiction, bitterness, anger, and unforgiveness but the one that I see so clearly is denying love. Though it seems like the wrong time of year since we just celebrated Valentine’s Day, I know its right where I am. God has shown me lately how many times my car veers right off this exit. God calls us, on our Christian walk, to love. Unfortunately, we don’t get to pick who we love, His word says to love everyone. I once read a quote “You can love your fellow man without loving Christ; but you cannot love Christ without loving your fellow man.” Ouch, that one hurts doesn’t it? Now, I know what you are thinking, but Connie, you don’t know ___; or you don’t know what ___ has done to me.

To love is easy when it comes to our good relationships. God asks us to love our enemies (Matthew 5:44), which may seem impossible. Mark 10:27 says “With man it is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” He wants us to be fruitful and bear much fruit, so we need to call on Him to help us love exactly when and where we don’t want to. So if the bible calls us to love our enemies, we are to also love the ones that either hurt us, left us, abused us, let us down or even inflicted physical harm.

There is a song that I love that speaks to my heart on this topic. It is written by Kerri Crocker, an amazing woman of God. The name of the song is ‘Honestly’ from the album Shine, it talks about love and how we are supposed to be giving it honestly. It also asks God to help achieve that level of love that we, as humans, just cannot. So as you soak in these lyrics, let the words speak to you and ask God to reveal to you the areas in which the fruit has stopped growing. Ask Him to help you to not only forgive but to love. Here is the link to the song: http://www.myspace.com/kerricrocker/music/albums/shine-17145788


Honestly
By Kerri Crocker

Beyond my fear
My lack of faith
When I stand ashamed
You loved me honestly

No matter what
How great my faults
Covered in sin
You loved me honestly

(chorus)

When I don’t have time
To sacrifice
When my give is gone
Help me love honestly

When I’ve been wronged
And I’ve been abused
I know in my heart
I should still love honestly

(chorus)

Unconditional
Irrevocable

Teach me this gift
This way of life
This road of peace
That I should be traveling

Teach me this gift
This way of life
By your example
I should be following