to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Monday, April 11, 2011

My Comforter

“And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another comforter, that he may abide with you forever” John 14:16 KJV


Well, it’s that time of year again, tax time. This year was pretty much like the years past, decide what to pay on and play catch up. There was one thing on my agenda with our return this year; we needed a new comforter for our bedroom. You see, the one I had was not that old and to be honest, I still liked the how it looked. As the matter of fact, I was showing someone around my house and when we got to my room, they complimented how nice it was. I agreed, I did love it, however, if you looked really closely, you would see that each seam had a large tear in it, almost as wide as the comforter itself. Worse yet, I tried to sew it and if you knew my grade in Home Ec., you would probably be able to envision what it looked like.



So my husband and I with the help of some major sales, invested in a duvet cover. We have a down comforter that we had stored away in a closet because we just didn’t need it. Before I put my bed together, I knew I needed to have my down comforter cleaned. Can I just say, I so didn’t expect that dry cleaning bill, but it had been stored away for years and I knew it needed it was full of dust and dirt.



When I brought the newly cleaned comforter home, we made the bed with the new duvet. We donated our torn and tattered comforter hoping someone with better sewing skills might receive it. As I was making my bed today, I was thinking of how much heavier and warmer this one is. I was thinking of how comforting it is, and that I could have laid there all day. Well, that is until I remembered that I have four kids that might want me to get out of bed. This got me thinking, this is what my life used to be like.



Before, my life always seemed to be good. I was a good person; I loved people, God, and my family. I went along living life as if that were my job. I had a lot of friends and people who liked me, but if you looked closely, every hem in my life was ripped and tattered. Sure it looked pretty nice, yet there was no warmth or comfort. That is, until I found myself in the covering of God’s grace. My life and my beliefs intersected with the Truth of God’s word, and at impact, my life would never be the same. My old fears and failures were replaced with the infallible love of God and the knowledge that He has plans for me and my life. My old tattered covering, though it still did its job, had been replaced with the covering of feathers. Psalm 91:4 says “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.”



I can tell you it is amazing the difference a Comforter makes. But do you remember I told you that I had to get my comforter cleaned. I had stored it away for years and allowed all the dust and dirt to just pile on top of it which needed to be removed? I needed to do the same with my life. I needed to come before God and confess that I have sinned throughout my whole life and that I just can’t do it, nor do I want to without Him.(1 John 1:9) Once He dry cleaned my soul, He put a new covering on it. Did I tell you that bill was free?(Eph 2:8) So I now live my life under a down comforter, not just when I go to sleep, but every minute of my day as well.