to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Friday, June 24, 2011

"The Rock"

“From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against a foe.” Psalm 61:2


Yesterday, I went to a store close by since I had time between dropping off and picking up my son. In the parking lot of this store is a rock that sits on the edge of a curb outlining the first isle of spots. The angle on this turn is pretty sharp, so it makes it difficult to avoid if you turn too fast.

This rock has been run over more times than I can imagine it ever wanted to. If you look at it, the surface is full of nothing but scrapes mere remnants of undercarriages of cars that were in a hurry or not paying attention. I think of how many times over the years I have seen cars either stuck on or driving clean over that rock making quite the noise as they do. Now this may lead you to believe that either I shop too much or that remnants of my undercarriage are a permanent part of that rock as well, but I will plead the 5th on that one. My husband will plead the 5th for me too, so don’t even try.

But as I went by it yesterday, I realized how scratched the surface of the rock is, yet it still holds its shape. This got me thinking. How many times in our lives, have we been in a trial and cried out to God? How many times have we needed Him at that moment and He answered our call? We merely scratched the surface, yet once we got over that hump, we just moved on to our parking spots, usually trying to forget we ever encountered that rock in the first place.

Psalm 61:2 says “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against a foe.” The thing about David, the author of the Psalm, is that he knew that God was his rock and the only thing that he could count on. He knew that rock was higher than he was. Though he fell flat on his face in disobedience as humans often do, he knew that his only help was God. But many of his psalms are praises too. David never forgot God and what He was doing in his life. He didn’t just scratch the surface, he dwelled there.

I encourage you to not only scratch the surface but to pursue The One who will lift you up. I encourage you to thank Him for the gifts you have been given, and I encourage you to learn His word, as this is how we get to know who He is and how He can be a part of our lives. God is not just someone to call in the midst of a trial, but an ever present rock just waiting for you to park by Him and spend some time.