to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Friday, July 29, 2011

communication breakdown

“Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which hast caused me to hope.” Psalm 119:49


We live in a time where communication is, for lack of better words, almost extinct. We have smart phones yet we can’t even spell full words when texting. We have traded in our face to face meetings with meetings on facebook. Ironically with an average of 90% of Americans owning cell phones, it seems like the percentage of time that we talk on them is going down. We have these phones so that we can communicate at all times, yet there seems to be no verbal communication most of the time. It’s so much easier to just send a text instead of call. Think about it, no moods to worry about, no awkward silence, it just makes more sense. Once we hit the send button, that’s it, just check it off our to-do list, right? I know I have been guilty of that.

If we don’t communicate, how can we keep relationships? I asked a group of girls, what would they do if they met Mr. Right and he asked them to marry them, only shortly after the engagement, he gets transferred to Australia for the remainder of the engagement time. My question is how would they communicate? The response was exactly what I expected; they would call him, text him, and facebook him in order to stay in touch. I asked them what would happen if they failed to keep up with him. They unanimously thought they would grow apart and probably decide not to get married.

Our relationship with God is no different. This relationship should be one of much communication. We need to call via prayer, text via reading the bible, and facebook, which is a social network, via going to church. If we fail to do each of the above, we risk being separated from our communication with God.

Since the church is the bride of Christ (Ephesians 5:31-32), and since the body of Christ is the church (Romans 12:5), we must have good communication with our groom. We are in the exact situation as that bride-to-be, which is waiting for the return of our groom; maybe we should take some pointers from our group of girls, our pseudo brides-to-be. We too should call him in prayer. Matthew 7:7 along with many other scriptures talks about prayer. Though we don’t hear an audible voice from God, be assured He is listening and He hears.

We need to text and receive those answers we prayed for. God speaks to us through the pages of scripture. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 speaks of scripture being God breathed and it talks to us and teaches us. Matthew 4:4 talks about man living not just on bread but on the word of God.

And finally, we need to facebook our God. Since facebook is a social networking site, it holds many people with a common interest. If we attend church, bible studies, wherever we can go to connect with others that share the common bond of faith, it will help us to grow closer to them and in turn to Him. Ephesians 2:19-20 talks about not being strangers any more, but fellow citizens in the house of God.

As with many of my devotions, this one is written with the ink of conviction because I have struggled to get in the word this week due to an extremely busy schedule. So as I sit here tonight asking God to remember His daughter who longs to be in communion with Him, I know that I must keep up and communicate with Him in order to keep this relationship going. I am thanking God for His patience with me as I learn more and listen more every day. I pray that He will forgive me as I constantly try to hit the send button and check my time with Him off my to-do list. I pray He will help me to keep my communication up with Him, no matter how busy I get, so that I may keep this relationship close to my heart.