to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Saturday, August 20, 2011

But

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and gentleness; against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

Before we indulge in that sweet stuff we call Fruit, we must stop and look at the first word of the sentence. The word but leads us to believe that there is something prior to the good stuff, and how true it is. Let's take a look at verses 19-21 and see what it has to say about what we struggle with.

"Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warned you before that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." Galatians 5:19-21

Ok this pretty much covers everything. I don't know about you but the first time I read this I was taken aback with the words. I was always thought the bible to be a book telling us how good God is and how much He loves us, which is the case but it is also a manual that warns and prepares us for life with God and what it entails. It tells us of the evil around and the evil to come. These verses are filled with words that are not only not that far from our tents, but may reside right inside like they do mine.

So before we begin breaking down the fruit, I am going to sit in prayer and ask God where I am in deception here. I will pray that God not only reveals it to me but helps me to remove this from my flesh. Let's begin in prayer:

"Dear heavenly Father, I come before you wanting to smell more like fruit than garbage. I pray that you will reveal the areas in this verse that are sin in my life. I pray God that You will help me to repent of it and move forward to the sweet smell of fruit. I thank You for loving me just as I am, and I thank You for changing me just as You do. Thank You for all the gifts in my life of family and friends. I pray this all in the name of Jesus~Amen"