to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Crazy little thing called love

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control; against such things, there is no law."

I love the word love. This word has comforted me more times than I can think. Let's face it, who doesn't want to be loved? At some point in your life, a decision was made based on love or the way we are feeling about it. Whether we lived in a house full of it or spent our life searching for it, love has been a large focus of our existence.

The definition of the word love is an intense feeling of deep devotion. The bible, however, paints a different picture. The word love is used in so many different ways, yet none of them depicts a feeling of any kind. 1 John 4:8 says "Anyone who does not know love does not know God, because God is love." It tells us that if we have love in us, we have God in us. John 3:16 speaks on the incomprehensible level of the love that God has for us by giving the life of His Son to be the propriation for our sins. Hundreds of times the word love is used in the bible to instill a practice for us to live by.

The crazy thing is that God calls us to love all people. This can be so hard because people have hurt us. Again, I say, it calls us to love all people, even the ones that are the hardest to love. Leviticus 19:9-18 tells us how to love our neighbor. Verse 18 says "You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD" What does this mean?

God is telling us to love, even when it doesn't make sense. He is telling us to act in such a way that we know God is in control. He is asking us to love His people and leave the judgement to Him. We are surrounded by so many people in our lives and some are so much easier to love than others. If we believe God is sovereign than we believe these difficult people are in our lives for a purpose. God is teaching us something. Maybe it's time to come before the Father and ask for help in this department. I will if you will.

"Father, forgive me for not loving_______. You know God that I can't love them without your help. I am going to trust that You have put them in my life for a purpose and I don't want to miss it. Though this person may just irritate me, have hurt me, left me, or caused deep pain in my heart, I will choose to forgive them by Your standards. God I can't do this without your help. So I come before you Father, though extending love to _____________ makes no sense in this world, I will choose to do it, for the love of You. I pray in Jesus name~Amen"

I don't know about you, but if you truly put at least one name in those lines, it can be so humbling. So many of us our living out our lives on how we feel, this is such a lie from the enemy. If we made decisions based on how we feel all the time, can you imagine how irratic our lives would be, especially when you need hormones. The key is to take those feelings to God and allow Him to sort them out for you.

We live in a world that tells us we deserve to be happy, work hard and deserve a new car, and need to be loved; which is exactly why we are getting divorced, going into debt and falling into inappropriate relationships. We can rationalize anything if we just give it time. We need to give it to Him. We need to allow God to make our decisions and only then can we carry them out.