to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Monday, November 28, 2011

THANKS GIVING

Let me start off by saying "Happy Thanksgiving!" I hope you had a wonderful day filled with food and family. If you were anything like me, it was filled with a whole lot of turkey and a side of shopping. I am one of those crazy people who love to shop the day after thanksgiving. My mother-in-law, sister-in-law and I usually head out nice and early to hunt down the bargains and have some fun.

If you can relate you probably still need some caffeine. This year was different than the past. The stores opened earlier than ever. I don't think the turkey was cleaned off of the dinner table before the first store opened. Due to the earlier hours, it seemed to bring out more people that would normally sleep in. Unfortunately, when you add more people to the mix with the same amount of deals, you will get some angry people. But all in all, our time was enjoyable as always.

As I thought about this change, I realized that we as a country, have moved right past the thanks to get to the giving. I know there is only four weeks until christmas, but let's think about this for a minute. How can we even think about giving for Christmas before we stop and give thanks for all that was given to us?Monday, November 28, 2011
THANKS GIVING
Let me start off by saying "Happy Thanksgiving!" I hope you had a wonderful day filled with food and family. If you were anything like me, it was filled with a whole lot of turkey and a side of shopping. I am one of those crazy people who love to shop the day after thanksgiving. My mother-in-law, sister-in-law and I usually head out nice and early to hunt down the bargains and have some fun.

If you can relate you probobly still need some caffiene. This year was different than the past. The stores opened earlier than ever. I don't think the turkey was cleaned off of the dinner table before the first store opened. Due to the earlier hours, it seemed to bring out more people that would normally sleep in. Unfortunately, when you add more people to the mix with the same amount of deals, you will get some angry people. But all in all, our time was enjoyable as always.

As I thought about this change, I realized that we as a country, have moved right past the thanks to get to the giving. I know there are only four weeks until christmas, but let's think about this for a minute. How can we even think about giving for Christmas before we stop and give thanks for all that was given to us?

The bible tells us that all gifts come from Him (James 1:17). It also tells us we shouldn't give reluctantly or by force, it says that God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor 9:7). So this tells me two things. First, we need to stop and thank God for all the gifts He has given us, first and foremost, His Son whom was given for our Eternal life if we believe (John 3:16). Second, it tells me that when we give, don't do it out of obligation, give from the heart. Don't look at the price tag and make sure you've spent enough, just give out of love as God has asked of us. Remember the words of 2 Cor 9:7 "God loves a cheerful giver"

Enjoy your shopping, I know I will. As you travel the roads between malls and stores, just pause for thanks to our God before you get to your giving.
Posted by Connie's blog at Monday, November 28, 2011 0 comments
Email This
BlogThis!
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook

Labels: Thanks


The bible tells us that all gifts come from Him (James 1:17). It also tells us we shouldn't give reluctantly or by force, it says that God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor 9:7). So this tells me two things. First, we need to stop and thank God for all the gifts He has given us, first and foremost, His Son whom was given for our Eternal life if we believe (John 3:16). Second, it tells me that when we give, don't do it out of obligation, give from the heart. Don't look at the price tag and make sure you've spent enough, just give out of love as God has asked of us. Remember the words of 2 Cor 9:7 "God loves a cheerful giver"

Enjoy your shopping, I know I will. As you travel the roads between malls and stores, just pause for thanks to our God before you get to your giving.