to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Anticiptation

"Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3


Tonight is Christmas Eve. I am sure that you, like my husband and I, have spent the last few months preparing for tomorrow. Can you believe it's already here? There are so many details to remember and finish up. As I sit here writing to you, I am running through those details in my mind, questioning whether or not I have finished everything. I am remembering my kids and how cute they were tonight. They have been so excited knowing that Santa is coming. For the last few weeks, especially the last few days, there excitement has been building to the point that falling asleep was hard to do. As I recount the adorable comments, smiles, and multiple kisses goodnight, I could almost hear God ask me if this is how I feel about Him.

The gospels are very specific on the importance of childlike faith. Mark 10:15 says "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." In Matthew 18, Jesus disciples asked Him who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. His reply was "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

My kids both big and small know that in the morning things will be different. Whether they dream of Santa coming down the chimney or dream of an iPod making their way under the tree, their childlike faith is solid. Heaven will be so much more amazing than a new bike or even an X-box kinect. God is asking us to anticipate Jesus the same way our children anticipate Christmas morning.

John 3:16 tells us that God loves us so much that He gave us Jesus. He sent His Son to be born, live, teach, and die for us. Talk about a gift. It also goes on to say that if we believe, we will have eternal life. Ok, what is it we are to believe? God is asking if we believe in Him, His Son, Our Sin, and our Salvation. The bible tells us in 1 Thessalonians 4 that Christ will come again. When He returns, those who have accepted this gift of eternal life through salvation spoken of in John 3 will be with Him forever. Now that's something to anticipate. 2 Peter 3 urges us to get ready, that we should be repentant, that we should live holy lives.

Now don't let this overwhelm you, let's go back to the childlike faith. The children, when they go to bed aren't worried about how they will lay on their pillow or what position they will sleep in, they just simply make the choice to be obedient and go to bed. Once we repent, we need to allow the Holy Spirit to change us. Whether quickly or slowly, if we are obedient, the change will occur. I pray that this Christmas Eve, you will find yourself, just as the children, obedient now and excited to see what God has for you in the morning. Merry Christmas to you and your family, now let’s start this Christmas in prayer.

"Lord, wow You are so much bigger than Santa could ever be, forgive me for not waiting in anticipation. I pray that You will instill in me as well as all reading the unbelievable excitement of the knowledge that one day Christ will come and we will reign with Him forever. God I thank you for my children who teach me every day. Thank You for Your gift of eternal life. Thank You for wrapping it in the beautiful wrapping paper of Salvation. We do wish You a happy birthday, in Jesus name~Amen"