to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I am Jonah!

 1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”
 3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD. Jonah 1:1-3

Have you ever known God was calling you to something, yet refused to listen? You know, like even just a nudge from the Holy Spirit to say or do something that you thought " yea right". I know I have, and that makes me a Jonah.

Jonah was a prophet back in the day, so his job was to hear God and carry whatever He said, out. This seems easy enough, right? Sometimes, however, the jobs wouldn't be easy. One day, Jonah woke up a prophet just as days passed and the next he found himself in the belly of a huge fish. Why you ask, because he didn't obey what God had told him.

I too have not obeyed God, which my friends is disobedience. Such an ugly word, isn't it? I have been battling an addiction to sugar for most of my life. The reason why is unsure, God has been teaching me amazing things about me and my past, so maybe He will reveal it in time, however it's an idol none the less.

I have gone through periods where I have given it up for three weeks, even every other day. It wasn't till last night as I sat preparing to embark on a six week journey to no sugar, that my sin was exposed. You see by not responding to God when He blatantly told me enough is enough, is a sin. Disobedience is a sin. So I sat on my couch, confessing to God and asking forgiveness.

Today I wake up different. So I am praising God in the belly of that fish and praying that God can carry me through the next six weeks. Won't you pray with me?

"Lord, You are holy, mighty, amazing, power, awesome, strength. This thing You ask of me, frankly turns my stomach I don't want to go to my Nineveh, which is sugar free. Matter of fact if I am completely honest, I would rather be heading toward Tarshish with an ice cold cherry Pepsi in my hand. But God!!!! You are bigger than my fear, You are bigger than my addiction and love for sugar! So I thank You in advance for helping me through this time. I thank You for being my ever-present help. I thank You for loving me enough to correct me. In Jesus name- amen"