to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Storms

"peace be still" Mark 4:39


Did you ever feel like when you are at your worst, when the whole world seems to be coming down on you, that's when God tells you to be still?  I was reading in Mark how Jesus was on a boat, sleeping, while a great storm came upon them.  They woke him up and said "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?" v.38 When Jesus woke up, He told the wind to stop and it listened.  


I don't know about you, but sometimes when I am in a storm, I wonder if my God is sleeping.  Sometimes, it is as if He isn't with me at all.  But that's when He is telling me "Peace Connie, be still!"  Sleeping Jesus just said whaaaaat?


How are we to be still in the midst of a storm.  A storm is never just rain.  No, a storm holds rain, wind, lightening, thunder, and sometimes hail.  That's why the storms of life aren't easy, there is never just one thing that we deal with, it's usually many things all at once.


When we are sitting in our boat of faith, asking God to help us in an area......we better expect that His way of fixing it or helping us won't make sense to us.  You see we can't just wax a dirty car, we will most likely vacuum it out, clean the inside, wash the outside, then we wax.   God must do the same thing with us.  He won't just fix anything, we must be cleaned and made anew to be used for His purpose.  If we don't change from the experience, then what's the point?


So I will continue to sit in my storm and "be still" waiting on my God to finish this painful season and cling to the "Peace" that He has promised.  I pray you will do the same.


"Lord, I lift up anyone reading this that is in the middle of a storm.  God, You know I am!  I pray that You will sustain me in my boat as I rock away.  Lord, I pray that you will allow me to stop looking at the wind, rain, and hail and help me to focus on You.  Your word tells me that You don't want the storm to be my circumstance.  Your word tells me that You want to be my circumstance.  I thank You for loving me and not leaving my boat.  I pray in Jesus name ~ Amen"