to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Monday, May 28, 2012

NOT IN VAIN!

Here we are on Memorial Day!  I love this time of year, I don't know if it's because the weather is usually really nice about now, of course this year is exceptionally nice, or if it's the parties and extra food I get to eat.  Either way, it's a day of celebration!

Last year I wrote about the poppies and their meaning.  I was thinking about the day this year and God impressed on my heart the meaning behind the cookouts.  We do not just get together to celebrate because we have the day off of work, but we celebrate because of the ones who serve our country.

I have many connections to the military.  My father, father in law, two brothers, two uncles, an nephew, and one contemplating entering the military are just the ones that are closest to me.  I can guarantee everyone reading this either knows someone who has served or knows someone who is serving right now.  You, yourself may even be serving our country as we speak.  I stand today saying thank you to each and every one of you that has given up the luxuries that we enjoy to give us the freedom we are experiencing.

I sit at my computer in my cool comfy home and appreciate everything you guys do, especially those who are serving outside of the country.  But as I celebrate this holiday, my heart is hurting for the ones who lost soldiers in their lives, for the fallen.  I have four children of my own and can't imagine the feeling of loss that some of you have endured.  It's just too much to wrap my mind and heart around.

I have a friend who lost a son (one of the Mentor Seven) in Iraq.  I think of her each day that we celebrate our countries freedom.  I can't imagine how the mood shifts from picnic to heartache at points throughout the day.  This woman, in particular, knows the meaning of the loss and the impact it has made on our country.  She has not only made peace with this grueling loss but has embraced it by going to Iraq and meeting the mothers of the Iraqi soldiers who have died in battle.  This strength and heart of love just blows me away.  Let's face it, good side or bad, a moms heart is a moms heart.

If you are a mother of a fallen soldier, I thank you.  I thank you for allowing your son or daughter to be a part of my house, my freedom, and my heart.  I thank you for walking on, persevering in life, with part of your heart missing.  I thank you for carrying on for your lost child.  They would be so proud to see you now, celebrating in honor of him or her.  I want you to know that your soldier has not died in vein.  They are truly a hero to me and my household.  God has used them in a mighty way and they will be remembered forever.

With honor and gratitude, I thank the men and women who have served, fought, or died for our country, this United States of America.  May God bless you all as you celebrate this Memorial Day 2012.


"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord" ~ Psalm 33:12
"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible" ~ George Washington