to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

GET SET! (part 2)

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me in his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14

Sorry it took so long to get back to my story, life and summer are crazy in the Kovach house:)  Did you do your homework? Did you ask God what race you are running? I pray that He has revealed some cool stuff to you as your prayed through these questions.

There I stood at the start line waiting to be herded through like cattle. I stood with some friends, planning our path, how would we take it? Would we run to start, should we go ahead if the others fall back? The plan was to run together but the disclaimer was if one was stronger let her run faster.

As the race began, we jogged off the line. Can I tell you that I didn't even make it out of the parking lot and these lungs and legs were done. I slowed down to a quick walk within the first quarter mile of the race and waited till my cramp went away. Before the race started, my son told me that if I had to walk to catch my breath, I should put both hands on my head or above my head, this way the air could get in my lungs quicker, making it easier to breathe. I used this technique many times, as there seemed to be many cramps waiting to slow me down.

The first mile was the hardest to me because I was still fighting my thoughts that so eagerly reminded me that I didn't think I would finish. But I didn't want to let my son down quite yet, so I pressed on. Did I enjoy it at that point, no not at all. I pressed on for him and prayed to God to just get me over the finish line.

 Ok, let's stop here with the story for now, but isn't this a lot like our lives as Christians? We start off eager, ready to be the best, fastest, all we can for God. We start off, even our days, making plans to how we will run it. We so often forget that God's plans outweigh our thoughts and desires. I know even in my life, I look at my situation and think, why in heavens name would God allow all that's transpired. But I will tell you that the changes in my heart because of it, seem to make all the sense in the world. 

Just like this first leg of the race, any ideas or visions that I had to walk this life, were quickly removed. The pains that seem to creep in our lives every minute try to keep us from the race, but if we simply put our hands up in surrender and allow the air to get into our lungs, He will give us the strength to get through the pain and continue on.

I will continue with part 4  of the journey, but for now, let's just put our hands up and surrender to our King. There are pains in your lives people, I know there are. I have so many dear friends including myself are hurting right now. Some of you out there have lost loved ones, had your lives or careers turned upside down, or just in a desert place, lost for words and emotions. The very essense of who you thought you were or what your life was may have been flipped inside out, but take courage brothers and sisters, there is a hope, a breath of fresh air. So put your hands up and allow that hope, Jesus Christ, to seep into your lungs, giving you more than enough air to finish this race.