to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ON YOUR MARK (part 1)

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us"

 This past Saturday was an amazing day. I learned more about myself in just a few short hours than I have in years. I ran my first 5k. My son's school has a program called "Just Run" that was headed up by his amazing gym teacher. By the way, they don't get enough credit. Though they only spend a few hours a week with our children, the lessons they teach them go beyond battle ball.

 Ok, back to the race. My son decided this would be a good thing to do. We encouraged him knowing with his ADHD he would probably beg to back out, but he did not. He and I spent countless mornings walking/jogging in our neighborhood in the mornings. We felt like we were on the way to being ready.  Unfortunately, some circumstances kept me from training the last two weeks. My son, however, kept running, whether it be with the neighbor or after school with the class, he kept running.

 Friday night, the night before the race, I realized that I wasn't ready. I decided that since my son would be with his school mates, I would just let him run. Let's just say that my son and my God had other plans, so I woke up that morning and got dressed for a three mile adventure.

 Prior to the race, I met up with some moms that were doing the race as well. I made jokes about myself, as I always do, proclaiming that I will be the one to come in last or that I may need a ride to the hospital. Though these comments had a sliver of truth to them, I used them as a defense mechanism. You see if I was funny, they would still like me and accept me. Also I warned them, so if I came in last, I simply did what I said I would. You know set your standards low that way, no one will be disappointed in you, especially yourself. I told you that God had plans for me and changing my 'stinkin thinkin' was the first thing.

I will continue this journey tomorrow, but I have some homework for you. Is there a race that you are currently running? I know that I am. In my life at this particular time, aside from the race to the finish line of life, I am running the race of a mother with four kids, one of which takes a completely different parenting technique than the others. Each child is so different and requires a complete different set of boundaries, punishments, and love languages.

 So pray to God, where He has you running a race. Jot down a few thoughts on some areas in your life that may seem 'never ending' or 'exhuasting'. What areas do you feel that just when you have it figured out, it all changes again? Let's run this race marked for us people. Though it can be at some times painful, the journey is the best part.