to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Thursday, August 9, 2012

We win!

The olympics have been so entertaining this year.  It is always amazing to watch the best of the best go head to head in order to take home a medal.  Tonight, my daughter and I were watching the women's volleyball match between USA and Korea.  The winner will move toward the match for the gold.

As I watched, the match just kept going back and forth.  Each time a team would take control to serve and possibly win the game, the other team would gain control back.  This went on for several minutes as the excitement grew with each serve.

I began to start to talk to the team and tell them what they need to do through the screen, as if I know :).  I was actually sitting on the edge of my seat.  The US team finally gained control of the serve and won the match.  As I celebrated with my daughter, I realized that the match had taken place hours earlier and all I had to do was read up on it.

This got me thinking, I watched this match as if the winner wasn't determined yet.  The athletes who played in the match have long since showered and celebrated their win, yet I was watching as if they were still on the court.  I wonder how many of us live our lives in Christ the same way.  According to  the bible and clarified in Revelation 12, God wins.  Yet we Christians, still walk around as if the war is still on the court.

When Jesus died on the cross, He beat Satan, sin and death.  The shedding of His blood covered it all.  Hebrews 9:22 says "Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins." and without forgiveness there is no entry into heaven because God cannot come near sin (Habakkuk 1:13).  Once you have admitted your sin and turned from it surrendering control of your life to Christ, not that you had it in the first place, you should be living in victory.

We need to change our perspective.  I heard someone say once that we need to fight from victory not for it.  If we are in Christ then we have already won.  There is nothing that can overtake us or defeat us without our permission.  How do we know this?  It's all between the books of Genesis and Revelation.

The next time you sit in defeat yet again, praying for God to help you, remember the games have already ended.  You can just read the headlines to see that God won and as long as you are on His team, then you've won too!  Then you can live in victory instead of defeat.  So get your big foam finger out  and cheer for the winning team.   Praise God that it is written and Jesus has already taken the gold.