"if nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies"

Monday, October 1, 2012


Rest (part 1)

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28


Can you feel the change of seasons?  The once warm air seems to be turning a bit chillier every morning.  The trees are beginning to change color and are starting to remind me of the many puzzles I see in the stores.  The clouds even seem different to me.  I love fall!  It’s one of my two favorite seasons.  My husband and I chose to marry in the fall because it was so beautiful.  

Much like the weather, the seasons in my life seem to be changing just as rapidly.  With all of my children in school for the second year, I thought there would be more time to do whatever it is that I need to do.  That lasted about three days.  Before I knew it, my schedule was filled to the brim with responsibilities as well as some added fun.  The people pleaser in me, that God and I worked so hard to destroy, began to emerge.  I was beginning a downward spiral of anger and depression until God spoke the word “REST”.

Ok, that’s funny, I don’t know if I know what that word means.  I love to rest, don’t get me wrong, however, I thought it meant going to sleep at night.  Let’s face it, how many of us get a chance to rest?  I mean if you count wiping the bathroom down with Clorox wipes instead of the deep cleaning, I know what you are talking about.  Asking God how this is done, He answered with the verse Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know...”.  No what? He continued, “that I am God.  That I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted among the earth.”  I love that verse, don’t you?  It just has a comfort to take away any anxiety.  After about a minute, I replied to Him “yea but who’s gonna clean that counter?  How can I rest while the house looks like the apocalypse?”

I am so glad that God knows me.  He knows my idiosyncrasies.  He knows my sense of humor, after all, He gave me all those things.  So after a few days of me ignoring the call, a dear friend and I had a conversation that led to my need to rest.  Go figure, don’t you love it when God uses those around you to tell you what He already told you? :)  So I listened.  I began to list all that I do in a week.  I was dumbfounded to see the list of responsibilities that I had allowed myself to create.  

God made me to be the person I am.  I love people, I do.  I could stay up all night if people wanted to talk.  I love to encourage, laugh, do whatever I can to help.  The problem is, when your views of God are twisted just enough, you can use this gift to the extreme.  If you are a people pleaser, you know exactly what I mean.  This is where the enemy comes in.  His lies lead us to think we need to do anything and everything put before us or we may lose relationships.  He tells us that if we don’t we are not pleasing God.  He tells us that it’s not a big deal, why wouldn’t we want to help a friend, are we really that selfish?  Wow it’s amazing what we allow ourselves to hear and believe.  John 8:44 says it well when it says “he has nothing to do with truth, because there is no truth in him,” it also says, “he is a liar and the father of lies”.

I began to pray to God “why would you make me like this if it is wrong?”  He reminded me of my journey through healing last year.  He reminded me of all the lessons we went through and twisted views, and putting peoples opinions and intentions above Him.  I realized that I went back to that child that was trying to create a world around me that didn’t exist.  I needed to go back to the basics.  I needed to start over.

I will continue on this journey as it unfolds.  As you walk with me, ask God to reveal to you where He is asking you to allow Him to change you.  If you rest and get quiet enough, He will speak to you!  I promise you that if you open His word, the message is right there for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment