"if nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies"

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

got belief?

be-lieve |biˈlēv| v


"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him." John 3:36


I grew up in a house with three brothers.  I was not only the only girl, but the second youngest, so the chances of me getting to watch girly stuff on the television was slim to none.  Football was pretty much the staple in our house.  Maybe this is why John 3:16 is one of my favorite verses.  I saw it every Sunday without fail, the loner in the stands holding the sign.  I had no idea what it meant, but I knew I would see it weekly as the camera panned the stands.

Did you ever have a time in your life where you just got it?  Whatever it is, you struggled to understand, then one day, one hour, one minute, you just got it!  I can remember in math in the 7th grade, trying to understand certain equations.  It was as if I was in a foreign language class.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't failing, my grades were status quo, but internally I was frustrated and exhausted.  Then one day, I got it!  The equation, and all the work that led up to the answer made sense.  My walk of faith was much like that.  

In my mid thirties when God introduced me to His Son Jesus Christ.  It was here that  I learned that verse "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  KJV  At this point, it made sense, but it wasn't until the disbelief was removed from my heart by the grace of God that I got it!

In chapter 3 of the book of John it's telling how John is sent to set the way for Jesus.  He was at the water baptizing those who believed.  Then the people came to him claiming that Jesus was doing his job.  But John, knowing why he was there says  "A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven."  He follows it up later in verse 30 with "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Verses 35-36 say "The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand.  Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him."  I don't know about you but this verse really makes you think.   It raises the awareness of what we already knew, we need to obey as well as believe.  The word believe means to have faith according to the dictionary.  The bible talks about faith as a verb.  Hebrews 11 makes it quite clear that faith is not just belief, it's what people do because of it.

If we believe, then we must have faith.  If we have faith, then we must act as the Spirit leads.  If we don't act then I wonder,  do we really believe?   Hmmm, kind of makes you think huh?  The fact is that the bible is clear on our eternal security.  There is no grey in this area.  If we believe....we will have life after death.  If we believe God is God, we are sin, Jesus died, Jesus rose, and Jesus lives, then we are almost there.  The second piece to this is that there is a difference in saying we believe and living like we believe.  In John 15 it tells us that we are known by our fruit.  It also tells us that we cannot produce fruit unless we are attached to the vine, a.k.a. God.

So my question is, how's your fruit?  Are you producing it?  If not you may want to get in His word and see what you are missing.  How is your faith?  Has God allow you to "just get it"?  If not, pray that God would open your eyes to see who He really is.  Pray that His wrath would no longer be on you.                                                                


No comments:

Post a Comment