"if nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies"

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Enough!



“Stop! That’s enough of this.” Luke 22:51 (God's Word translation)


In the wake of Friday's events, there are so many emotions that I am experiencing, so I can only imagine that you are as well.  I sit here watching the news channels who have released the pictures and names of the victims.  There are so many stories that are emerging from the wreckage of the headline.  And as many times as I have rehearse it in my head, it is just so wrong.  I am so angry that someone would take out their frustration and anger in life on these innocent children and teachers.  These children have yet to live, their personalities and friendships are just blooming.  Yet in the blink of an eye, they are gone.  Gone to be in the arms of Jesus while the rest of the school, families, and nation, try to figure out what to do next.

Over the past few days I have so many words that have invaded my mind, however the most prominent one is the word "enough".  Enough of all of this!  Enough violence, enough massacres, enough excuses, ENOUGH!  There is a story in the bible where Jesus actually yells these words out to all of his own.  It comes after He spends some time in serious prayer with the Father asking Him to take the cup of what was to come, only if it were the Father's will.  His prayer was so intense that it says His sweat turns to drops of blood, yet the strength to endure what was next came upon Him from an angel.

In Luke 22, the time had come for what was written to become reality.  It says Jesus was speaking when a group of men came toward Him, led by Judas.  In verse 48, Jesus said to him, “Judas, do you intend to betray the Son of Man with a kiss?”   When the others around saw what was happening they all got a little meshuga and pulled their swords.  Peter pulled his sword and cut the ear of the chief priests servant, severing it from the mans body.  Jesus knew that the days occurrences where the will of God and that His time had come to die.  Verse 51 says But Jesus said, “Stop! That’s enough of this.” Then he touched the servant’s ear and healed him.

You see even though what went down wasn't what He wanted, Jesus knew that it was what had to happen to fulfill the prophecy of the words spoken by God.  So when the men tried to defend Him with violence, Jesus had to stop the insanity.  It doesn't matter why we do what we do as much as it matters that we do it.  Sometimes in our lives, there are past hurts and frustrations that lead us to be angry, bitter, and resentful.  What God is saying here is that even if we have a right to be angry, we can not act on it.  He is saying that even when defending His name, we cannot get violent.

I get that there is mental illness.  I understand there is pain that hasn't been dealt with.  What I don't understand is the unnecessary violence that has become our right as humans lately.  If you have had a rough life, (which there are more of us reading this that can relate than not), seek help!  There is healing but you have to do something about it to make it happen.  The bible speaks on faith being two fold.  One part is to believe that God can heal.  The second part is to take a step toward that healing.  Like the lame man in John 5 that sits by the pool complaining how everyone cuts in front of him.  He could be healed if someone would just help him in the water.  Yet when Jesus walks by him, He asks "Would you like to get well?"  In verse 7 it says the sick man answered Jesus, “Sir, I don’t have anyone to put me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I’m trying to get there, someone else steps into the pool ahead of me.”  I love Jesus' response in verse 8 “Get up, pick up your cot, and walk.”   It says that the man immediately became well, picked up his cot, and walked.

I share this story from experience my friends, I spent a life time being bitter and angry with the circumstances that my life had collected.  I had every excuse for why I acted, thought, and felt the way I did.  But it wasn't until I picked up my own mat and walked that I actually began to heal.  Through God's word, Jesus spoke so clearly to me when He said "Enough!"

Remember after Jesus yelled for the men to stop the violence, He touched the servants ear and healed him.  This is what happens in life, we must stop what we are doing and take a step of faith toward Jesus.  He will heal you if you allow Him to.  So place your faith in Jesus Christ.  He is the answer to all of life's problems.  They don't necessarily go away.  Jesus still had to die so that we would not have to spend eternity apart from God.  But an angel from heaven gave Jesus the strength to go on.  If we are in Christ, we too have that strength right inside of us.

So again i say enough!  Enough blaming others for your hurts, pick up your cot and walk toward healing.  Enough hiding Christ under a lamp stand, be bold as we are told in scripture.  Enough making excuses for the way we live, the addictions we hold so dear, surrender it all to Him.  The One who came to live as us, teach us, and die for us that we may have life forever with Him.  Let's pray:

"Dear heavenly Father,  I come before Your throne this evening sick.  I am so burdened by what has occurred Father, that I don't know how to think.  Your word tells us that You weep right along side of us.  It says Your heart breaks for us and our grief.  We thank You for giving us eyes to see You, for hearts that love, and ears to hear the truth!  We pray for each family directly affected at Sandy Hook Elementary.  We pray the motto "Visitors Welcome" remains on their sign.  Don't allow them to shut down Lord, this is what the evil one wants.  We pray for the children that saw too much.  Oh Lord, remove those visions, give them peace, do not allow Satan a foothold on their hurting hearts.  Lord, Your word says that with You there is healing.  Though it makes not sense to trust someone who we can't visibly see, I pray for faith to prevail from this horrific situation.  I pray that others will know the peace that goes beyond all that we see, think and feel.  Thank You Father for Your word.  Thank You for loving us.  It is in Jesus name that I pray ~ Amen"


No comments:

Post a Comment