to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sonblock (part1)

Here we are, right in the midst of summer.  The air has such a wonderful smell, somewhere between fresh cut grass and sunblock.  Sunblock is my all time favorite summer smell, the more coconut smelling the better.

This past month, we had a ladies breakfast at church.  I shared a little bit of what God was teaching me over the past few months.  I debated whether or not I should write about it on my blog, then I went to the pool.  As usual, I used sunblock, 30 SPF to be exact.  I bought my daughter a spray one, so I figured I'd spray and go.  Well, I guess you can say I got burned to say the least.  The funny part is that only some of my skin got burned while other parts were just fine.  I guess I have a lot to learn about spray sunblock.

After a few days of being in pain, I realized that I needed to continue on with the theme.  So here we go.  Are you ready to talk about "Sonblock"?  If so, go ahead, grab an iced latte and your bible and let's head into the sun.  If you heard me speak at the breakfast, this will be a little more detailed so I hope you join us :)

The theme of "Sonblock" came from a moment of distress.  One of my twin boys was struggling with a severe anxiety attack.  Anxiety is a little gift that I handed down to a few of my children.  If you have experienced it or know someone who has, you can probably relate.  I will be sharing my story, including my struggle with anxiety soon on this blog.  When he began experiencing the attack, my husband and I began to pray for over him.  As I was praying, the thought of sunblock popped into my head.  I imagined pouring God's word over my son as I would sunblock over his skin.  I would pray for him and then follow it up with scripture so that Carson could understand the importance of memorizing scripture and how to use it during spiritual warfare.

A week or so after that night, the thought came back...."sunblock".  I prayed and asked God to reveal why I kept thinking on this.  It became clear to me that if I sat with a pen and paper, the thought would become so much more.  So in obedience, I sat and listened to see where God would take my pen.

When we know the Word of God, we can cover ourselves and our families with it.  We can pray the promises that God has given us right back to Him.  We can cling to it in our deepest moments of life.  We can sing it as we celebrate things.  It is life giving, life altering, and frankly life to me.  So to apply it everyday just makes sense.

Some of you have heard me talk about the soil of our minds.  Each thought that we spend time on, plants itself in that soil.  They grow in our minds the second we think them.  If we know the Word and the thought does not align, we can weed it out so that it will not grow.  Thanks to a dear friends acrostic, I can remember it so easily...thanks Jenn.  We need to become a PLANTER of right thoughts.   Philippians 4:8 NIV says "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -  think about such things."

P- pure & praiseworthy, L- lovely, A- admirable, N- noble, T- true, E- excellent, R- right.

Once the thought comes in, if it does not align with the above truths, then we need to stop thinking it and replace it with scripture.  Ok, lets get out of the garden and back into the sun.  I am going to rest here and pick up next time with a little more explanation on the "Sonblock" title.  Until then, practice being a planter.