to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Warm & Cozy

So when I woke up this morning, it was warm in the house.  Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, however, Tuesday night our furnace stopped working.  I am a usual freeze baby.  I sit comfortable in my seventy degree house most days wearing a hoody and covered in a blanket.  

That night was cold, but nothing like the next day when the thermostat hit fifty-three degrees.  At some point late yesterday, my husband fixed the problem.  Life went on, no big deal right?  Wrong!

When I woke up this morning, it was back to warm and cozy.  It prompted me to thank God for the warmth that I was feeling.  You see, sometimes, it takes the deserts of our lives to make us realize what we have.  It is when we are stripped of a blessing, that we realize the value.  If I would not have lost my heat, I would have forgotten to be thankful.  We go through life being blessed by one thing after another.  We are so blessed that we tend forget that what we are experiencing is a blessing.  We expect it!

When I woke up this morning in the warmth of my house, I thanked God.  I thanked Him for the heat and prayed for the ones who do not have a roof over their heads.  I thanked God for comfort and realized that without God, there is no comfort.  I thanked Him for taking care of my family, for blessing us beyond anything we deserve.  

I think this is what James meant by count it all joy (James 1:2)  When we have trials, even tiny ones such as heat, we grow from it, we learn from it, and Lord willing, we are changed because of it.  So as you go about your day I ask you, what are you thankful for?  Even more so, what struggle are you thankful for?  I could write a book here, the only problem is that if I am honest, I am still asking God to help me be thankful.  Let's pray:

"Lord, I come before you, almost embarrassed.  But God You are so much greater than any negative emotion.  You have taught my heart that the smallest things require thanksgiving.  Lord, I am sorry for my lack of thanks.  I am sorry that I take advantage of my time among other things.  I pray that You will direct my steps to serve You only in the way that You are calling me to.  God I don't want to serve everywhere just because I think You will be happy with me.  I want to serve only where You are calling me.  I want to be where you are Lord.  Thank You for loving us.  Thank you for our reminders.  It's in Jesus name that I pray...Amen"  



If you are interested in working with the homeless, my church has a homeless ministry where they go downtown once a month with a meal.  Depending on the time of year, they will bring needed items as well.  Even if you don't live close and feel that you want to sow into this ministry you can do that at www.lakeridgechurch.com