to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Winter again?

Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:13-16



I have read the verse "You shall be holy, for I am holy" many times.  I thought it to be encouragement for walking in the way that I need to, however, it almost seems like we are being set up for failure.  How can this perfect God ask us to be holy?  How can the omnipotent One expect us not to mess up?  How can I live up to this standard?

I have been in an extremely odd season in my life.  I have been humbled beyond my expectation.  Just when I feel low, I realize the bottom drops a little more.  God has taken this girl from being one who relies on affirmation and acceptance, to one who lives by the truth.  But even that seems to go away quicker than I can imagine and before I know it, the mirror shows the one I used to see.  My prayer this year has been, empty me, and boy has He.

This passage says "Therefore, preparing your minds for action,and being sober minded".  This is telling us to be ready.  Ready for what?  Ready for the attack.  If we have been changed in any way, we need to be prepared to be tested in that way.  If we are not tested properly, we will not be ready for the antithesis of our faith to have at us.  The bible says to stand firm against the devil (Eph 6) and not to let him make us fall.  But sometimes, we are the ones doing the jumping.  We have to remember that though we want change in our lives and may have even seen evidence of it, we are still one stupid comment, decision, or thought away from who we were before the grace of God lifted us up.

This winter seemed to go on forever.  It still feels like it's not willing to relinquish it's grip.  We will get that hint of spring either by green grass being visible or a familiar smell of new in the air.  It seems like as soon as that reminder of the coming season appears, winter returns.  My spiritual walk is no different.  God has been leading me over the past month or so to forgive and seek forgiveness.  Just yesterday I was feeling good about the places that He had taken me.  I could almost see the grass growing, shedding hope that this overdone season is coming to an end.  As quick as the smell of change filled the room, the snow began to fall.

This passage tells us that we need to be ready because winter is always around the corner.  It tells  us that though we see change in our lives, the enemy wants our change to look false.  He wants us to think that we are a pathetic excuse for being a child of God.  He tells us verses like this are unattainable, and asks us why we bother.

As I woke up this morning, I felt a heaviness that I could not pinpoint. I was feeling defeated and didn't know why.  I called out to God "Search me and know me, tell me why I feel this way".  He brought this verse to mind "You shall be holy, for I am holy".  He also brought to mind a few comments that I made yesterday that went against everything this verse says. I realized that God is in the spring and He is asking me to trudge through the snow one more time to catch up with Him again.

He is asking me to set my mind fully on grace.  Not only the grace given to me, but the grace that I am to extend, thus eliminating those thoughts and comments.  He is asking me to be obedient, to follow Him so that I do not stay in this season of ignorance and pathetic thoughts catapulting me back to who I was.  He is asking me to be holy, by seeking Him, by reading His word, and by humbling myself daily in my thoughts and actions.

I am thankful for spring.  I am thankful for a Savior that won't give up on me.  I am thankful for a God who is victorious.  I am thankful that He knows what it's like to be tormented mentally for 40 days in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11).  He isn't asking us to be perfect, He is simply asking us to be aware, be ready, and call on Him.