to glorify God... one thought at a time

to glorify God... one thought at a time

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Why Celebrate?…Easter

"He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay."  Matthew 28:6

Happy Easter!  As you begin your celebration with family and friends, I thought I would write one more time this week :) I hope you enjoyed this journey following the last days of Jesus on earth.  Today, let's talk about what this was all for.  Enjoy this beautiful day!

So this Jesus, when He was 33 years old, after 3 years of ministry, was taken to be crucified.  He suffered on the cross for 3 hours and died, from what I have been told, at 3:00.  He gave up His spirit and died which brought forward the 3rd part of the trinity.  We talked 3 days ago and I said that wasn't the end of the story.  Well, here is what it all comes down to.  

On the 3rd day, Mary Magdelene and the other Mary went to the burial site but the stone was rolled away from the tomb (Matthew 28:1).  Jesus was not there!  They found an empty tomb with burial cloth and realized that is alive, He came back to life!  He conquered death!  But all of that was not for nothing.  The bible tells us that we are of sin.  It's not that I'm telling you that you did something wrong to allow it, I am telling you that it's what we are made of.  It would be like telling a latté that it is not made of coffee.  We are born of it and from it.  

God, who is holy, cannot even look on sin.  He must be removed from it, like we learned this week.  Back in the old testament  God would require a perfect spotless lamb to be sacrificed   It was the shedding of blood from that perfect lamb that would clear the sin away, but as soon as the people left the spot that they would sacrifice, they would sin again.  I know I do that all the time, as soon as I go to God with my repentance, I find myself saying or doing the same thing again…ooops.  Isn't it nice to know your not alone.  Anyway, so with our eternal sin problem, God made a way to have communion with us messy sinners, He supplied His own perfect, spotless lamb, Jesus.  

This week, we learned how Jesus lived, how He taught and how He died.  Today we learn How He rose again.  I pray that your eyes are opened to see this truth and that you place your faith in Jesus.  I pray that you enjoy this Easter with your friends and family.  I pray you have great conversations and that you have grace to share with those sandpaper people at your table.  I thank God for the focus to write all week and am so glad you joined me in these pages.

In light of all of the number 3's thrown around, I have 3 questions for you:

1) Do you believe?  Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God?  Do you believe that He rose from the dead?  That He did this just for you so that you can spend eternity with Him in heaven?

2) Do you trust Him?  Have you placed your faith in the fact that without this trust, we will spend eternity in hell? 

3) If you answered no to questions 1 or 2, why celebrate Easter?